Macerich is sharply focused on sustainability as a long-term, fully integrated business approach. Our goal is simple: Create a healthy environment for our employees, tenants, guests and communities and sustain this environment for future generations.
Today we are committed to doing even more — to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions, energy use, water consumption, and waste generation. For more information click here.
What We’re Doing at Vintage Faire Mall
- Our Security Staff uses hybrid vehicles, bike patrols and Segways instead of vehicles powered by gas.
- We use green cleaning products and recycled paper products in public restrooms at our center wherever and whenever possible.
- The center has implemented lighting protocols that allow us to minimize our energy use and lower our carbon footprint without any impact on the shopping experience.
- We are continually exploring green alternatives for capital improvement projects. The most recent project resurfaced 12.4 acres of the mall parking lot using a system called Cold In-Place Recycling. By re-using the asphalt, we kept 7,500 tons out of the landfill, and also avoided needing 7,500 tons of new product.
- We are in the process of installing Strategic Energy Plan equipment to identify peak and wasteful energy usage property-wide.
- The center utilizes electronic storage therefore discarding less paper. Vintage Faire donates a section of the parking lot for Park & Ride use to promote carpooling and use of public transportation.
- We have reduced travel with web-conferencing capabilities reducing carbon emissions and made use of web-based training rather than books.
- There are designated bus stop and mall-provided bus shelters on the property to make the center accessible for customers using public transportation. Vintage Faire sends e-mail blast advertisements rather than catalogs or postcards to shoppers.
- The center utilizes digital technology to manage energy usage with mechanical HVAC units.
- We recently added recycling cans adjacent to trash cans throughout the center.
- Interior lighting has been updated by replacing incandescent light bulbs with CFL’s a 60% to 80% energy savings.